Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Making a set, part 6

I settled on mechanics that I liked and mocked up some cards to go with them. The cards themselves are clearly not tuned, but give some idea of where I'm going with this. I'll go in WUBRG order.




Interdict is a pretty simple mechanic. Its the worst of the bunch though. It either stops them from making plays or does nothing. I expect that playing it is going to push me down other directions though. Who knows, maybe it'll surprise me. I don't actually have that much to say about it.





Subvert is the UB keyword. It feeds off the opponent's draw step. It isn't a paralytic like it would be if it triggered off the opponent's spell cast. It has a lot of precedent in UB with Consecrated Sphinx and Notion Thief. The effect also scales with the number of cards your opponent draws over the course of the game, which has the sneaky incremental feel that UB likes. I feel this is the strongest mechanic of the bunch. It has a lot of space.



I'm not sure which wording is more correct. Consumed feels better, but might not be clear enough in the rules/with players. The cards I featured are all creatures, but the mechanic is capable of going on spells to power them up. Ie, there is an instant that gives -2/-2 that when consumed gives -5/-5. This has enough depth to do cool stuff while have a fixed cost. Its also important to the set since Subvert, Flesh Bond, and Brutal have board implication. A one time power-up is perfect.



This is the Brutal mechanic. I am a bit concerned that it will have too much board complexity. As such, it might lose the dealt damage and received and just have one of those clauses. I do think the mechanic feels very R/G so I don't want to change it overmuch. It might not be that bad though, I'll have to see.



This is the real potential problem child. This does work within the rules, but it had to go through some funky contortions. I'm pretty happy with the reminder text. I think these are going to play a lot more intuitive than they look. I also can't think of other executions that work as a way of physically attaching a creature to another creature. If this doesn't work the G/W sect might have to change its focus.


There will be a whole cycle of these cards. I can't get MSE to render Phyrexian mana. Essentially, they play up the multicolor aspect of the set while still letting you use the cards fully, for a price. 






These cards should all be phyrexian mana in the cmc, but again I can't get MSE to go phyrexian mana for some reason. These let the mechanics bleed into other colors for a pretty steep cost. It is my expectation that more often than not these cards will be played in one of their colors. Unlike New Phyrexia, there is no Infect in the set to offset the life cost of the cards. As such, Phyrexian mana is going to be more impactful here than it was previously.

Current design skeleton:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KKbhhgreewQ_ap6qMUWLUrVr42nUMWPxWT9cPe_JLBs/edit#gid=0

Some things are going to change in the near future. One, I need to have larger/more expensive creatures. I don't have enough of the like, 6-7 mana, 4/4 - 6/6 range. The creature number is currently at 51, which is about right but I think there wants to be more options for blue/red. Not many more, maybe like 1 creature each. Also, the colored equipment are going away. They're too confusing with Flesh Bond in the set.

I'll be back next week!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment